Saturday, 11 October 2014

Let's fly away.... the day before Peru 11.10.14

Saturday 11.10.14

I'd like to say I am prepared but then that just wouldn't be me, or truthful.  I have three hours before I am due to leave my flat for my Mum's, and the place still resembles a bomb site, laundry to be done, and there is nothing packed in the rucksack.  
I've got to say a huge thank you to Mathew Setchell for the loan of a lot of the equipment (and bags!) needed for this trip, and to Gaia Fleet who gave me much needed antibiotics today (typically a chest infection has hit).  Without their help I would be even less prepared, which is saying something.

So... I need to crack on.  But before I do, here's the reason I am (now panicking about) going away:


BREAKING BOUNDARIES (LNADJ in association with the B-Side Project)
Raising awareness and much needed funds for deaf blind children and young people across the globe, through the medium and love of music.
B-Side Project and Last Night A DJ Saved My Life have launched Breaking Boundaries in 2014 with the first focus on two specific projects managed by Sense International and Sense UK.
As part of the campaign I am spending a month in Peru.  Whilst in Peru, I will be visiting the Sense  Internaltional deafblind childrens project to experience first-hand how the funds can really make a difference.  There are large funding needs in the new project in Peru which has a range of activities from helping deaf blind children access basic education, home-based support and therapy, and assistive devices.  I will also be working closely with the team at Woodside Family Centre project in Bristol through 2014.
I myself suffer from a degenerative eye condition known as Retinitis Pigmentosa.  I truly believe that music has kept me positive throughout.  It is one of the most important things to me.  Although I am registered partially sighted, to me it is totally incomprehensible to have hearing loss too.  There are young people and children with blind deaf issues who are so far less fortunate, but who can be really helped through music therapy projects that Sense facilitates.  
Last Night A DJ Saved My Life will help raise this awareness and encourage the fundraising for this campaign, alongside the B-Side Project which I founded in 2009 to bring music together internationally.
The ‘home and away’ campaign to generate awareness and funds for these projects hopes to continue year after year and encourage various dance music ambassadors to follow with similar actions.   Breaking down geographical boundaries, and educating people on the amazing work that is done, and the inspirational results that are achieved.  
I am paying for my own flights to Peru and the fundraising/sponsorship you donate is not used to cover this cost.  If you are able to donate, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment