Thursday, 16 October 2014

Massage workshop 16.10.14

It seems that Peru and massages go hand in hand, or maybe I just look like I need one. After two previous offers this week (albeit from slightly less "kosha" masseurs), I finally succumbed to a proposition I just couldn't refuse.


One of the four Sense International Peru projects is "Occupational Training" for young deafblind adults. Today another member of the Sense Peru team, Kiomi, took us to the Productive Centre Salomon Zorrilla, in the Callao area of Lima, where we were able to see (and participate!) in the massage workshop. This workshop is run by partner organisation "Condis" and the funds from Sense International go towards transport for the 10 deafblind students and families participating, and the tools and materials needed.

To see how Angela, the teacher, communicates with the students was amazing, using guide interpretation - this is where the deafblind person feels the hands of the other person as they sign language. Communication for deafblimd people has always left my head reeling - how on earth do they do it? I saw exactly how this is done today and it was mind blowing to say the least. Another of Sense Internationals projects here is to train people in all aspects of sign language, and Angela herself is going through this course to develop her sign skills and understanding.

I must say it was probably the best massage I have had, but then if you think about it, being deafblind means you rely heavily on touch, and therefore incredibly tactile. Learning how to professionally massage not only gives the young adults a sense of purpose and achievement, but it will also eventually lead to inclusion in the workplace with socially responsible companies in the area, and it also provides a version of sensory therapy. 

It was a unique experience to meet Monika, Tono (and Mariella his guide interpreter) Fernando & Carlos (and Carlos' mother Rosa). It was a pleasure to be their massage model! :-)



To find out more about Breaking Boundaries, helping deafblind projects in UK and Peru, and if you have a few pennies to donate, please visit this page: www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MissChivers



No comments:

Post a Comment