It's whilst I am sat at Charles De Gaulle airport waiting for my final connecting flight back to the UK that I can reflect on what has to be one of my maddest, craziest, most awesome of weekends to date - and all without the elements of intoxicating substances (by that I mean alcohol of course), parties or festival shenanigans.
A round trip from Cambridge to Tokyo in 5 days to support and work my representative magic with Wolfgang Flür is an opportunity I will never forget.
Arriving early evening on Thursday, I was pretty apprehensive about finding myself in one of the worlds most hectic cities, & especially without an escort from the airport. But immediately I felt a sense of calm and safety after arriving by coach to Shinjuku. Asking a few people for directions to the Ibis hotel was so easy - everyone was really approachable. This clip was literally my first impression and experience: https://www.facebook.com/misschivers/videos/10153200995175733/
With the jet-lag working hard on my brain, I stayed up & walked around the district from 3am to try to catch the sunrise. But in such a built up area, this was pretty impossible!
Friday we had a day to relax and myself, Wolfgang and his wife Zuhal went for lunch at the incredible national park, Shinjuku Gyoen. There is a distinct lack of open space in Shinjuku but this oasis was just bliss - the smells and the lush greenery seemed a world away from the fast-paced normality that is Tokyo.
I then dedided to mark this once in a lifetime trip by marking myself - which is the most spontaneous thing I have done to date. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid tattoo collector already, it just normally takes me months if not years of procrastinating before I decide on a design each time. I had no time here, and rather than tourist tat as a souvenier, I got an actual tat instead :-)
Wolfgang had his gigs at Marz club on the Saturday and Sunday evenings. The fans were mental (in a nice way!) and were so excited to have him there. Some were shaking so much when he did a signing session after each performance! The sets were great as usual and it was such a pleasure to be there with him. When I work out how to directly upload videos to the blog, I will add cuts from the gigs! For now, here's a pic and also one of the tracks he included:
Although this is one of the slower tracks in his set, the rest is pretty much banging techno of around the 140bpm vibe!
Apart from the gigs and having a business meetings with Wolfgang about his forthcoming album as well as him requesting a remix from me (GET IN!!!) the rest of the time was spent just immersing myself in this perculiar yet comfortable place. Saying that, the noise and the constant bombardment of advertising does get a little overwhelming!






No comments:
Post a Comment