Saturday, 16 May 2015

It's taken a while...

...to write the final piece for the Peru trip, which literally peaked at a height of around 4,600m over The Andes, after which I took in the magnificence of Machu Picchu and the Sun Gate.



It was the most incredible experience, not just the finale at seeing one of the worlds wonders, but the entire four week journey.  What I underestimated was the journey I was mentally making too - I started something in Peru and it's taken me until now to finish the process as well as to appreciate what it did for me. 


This is why it has taken so long to write this post. I realised that I was going in a direction I had no control over, and with my diminishing eyesight I realised I needed to follow this mantra: "never get so busy trying to make a living that you forget to make a life"



Here's a video link which sums up the trek: https://www.facebook.com/misschivers/videos/10152774347870733/

Upon my return I closed down two limited businesses, one of which wasn't doing so great after 5 years uphill struggle, and one which never really got off the ground due to lack of support. I also *gutted* my flat, which could be seen as a little mid-life episode. And when I say gutted, I mean all the furniture went and the carpets, and I spent a good few months with just the bare minimum bean bag chair and futon mattress. Starting from scratch, quite literally.

Of course I went to Peru to raise funds and awarness for deaf-blind children & young adults in the UK and Peru, and you can still donate here, and a music release is planned this year to continue the fundraising: http://goo.gl/aHBYt6

I know the funds will have a direct positive effect on the work of Sense UK and Sense International in the projects I visited; I just didn't realise at the time what a profound effect it would have on me too.

In the last 6 months, purely simplifying and taking time to appreciate everything has worked wonders. It just took me seeing a world wonder to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment